Growing a beard can be a bold style statement and a personal preference for many men. However, having a beard doesn't mean you should neglect your skin. Proper skincare is essential for maintaining healthy skin under your beard. In this article, we'll discuss the importance of beard skincare, common skin issues related to beards, essential skincare steps, and tips for maintaining a healthy beard. Let's dive in!
Importance of Beard Skincare
A well-groomed beard not only looks great but also contributes to the overall health of your skin. Proper beard care helps prevent irritation, acne, and dryness, ensuring your skin stays healthy and comfortable under your beard. Moreover, a well-maintained beard supports healthy facial hair growth, reduces beard breakage, and keeps your facial hair looking its best.
Common Beard-related Skin Issues
Some common skin issues associated with beards include:
- Acne: Dirt, oil, and dead skin cells can accumulate beneath your beard, clogging pores and leading to acne breakouts.
- Dry Skin: Beards can draw moisture away from the skin, leading to dryness and flakiness.
- Ingrown Hairs: Improper shaving or lack of exfoliation can cause ingrown hairs, which can be painful and lead to inflammation.
Essential Steps for Beard Skincare
To keep your skin healthy under your beard, follow these essential skincare steps:
- Cleansing: Cleanse your face and beard daily with a gentle Face + Beard Cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells. And while you should suds up your face every day, you only really need to lather up your beard 1-2 times per week. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to prevent residue buildup.
- Exfoliating: Exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week using a gentle facial scrub or exfoliating brush. This helps remove dead skin cells, preventing ingrown hairs and promoting healthy skin renewal. We're partial to Exfoliate which is a charcoal sugar scrub designed for both face and facial hair.
- Moisturizing: Apply a hydrating facial + beard moisturizer daily to moisturize both your skin and beard. This will help prevent dryness, itchiness, and flakiness. For extra softening, conditioning and control, apply a beard oil or beard balm after applying Hydrate.
Choosing the Right Skincare Products
When it comes to beard skincare, selecting the right products is crucial since there are very few skincare products designed for men with facial hair. Consider the following:
- Ingredients to Look For: Opt for products containing natural ingredients like aloe vera, jojoba oil, shea butter, and green tree oil, as these can help soothe and moisturize your skin. Hyaluronic acid (HA) is an excellent hydrator so if you're looking for an effective moisturizer, make sure HA is on the ingredient list. Most men deal with oily or combination skin (oily in parts, dry in others). If you're one of the many, look for niacinamide (vitamin B3) as it helps balance oil production.
- Ingredients to Avoid: Steer clear of products containing harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, or alcohol, as these can cause irritation and dryness. All of our beard care and skincare products are fragrance-free.
Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Beard
In addition to following a proper skincare routine, consider these tips for maintaining a healthy beard:
- Trim Regularly: Trim your beard regularly to remove split ends and promote healthy growth. This also helps maintain a neat and tidy appearance.
- Comb and Brush Your Beard: Comb or brush your beard daily to detangle and evenly distribute beard oils or balms. This also stimulates blood flow, supporting healthy beard growth.
- Hydration and Diet: Stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet rich in essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and proteins. A healthy diet can improve the quality of your skin and beard.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How often should I wash my beard?
Generally, you should wash your beard 1 – 2 times per week a gentle beard wash like Cleanse. However, if you have particularly dirty job or work up a sweat daily, you can wash your face everyday if needed.
Can I use regular shampoo on my beard?
It's best to avoid using regular shampoo on your beard, as it can be too harsh and strip your skin and facial hair of their natural oils. Instead, opt for a gentle beard wash or facial cleanser designed specifically for facial hair.
What's the difference between beard oil and beard balm?
Beard oil is a lightweight, liquid moisturizer that helps hydrate the skin and beard, while beard balm is a thicker, waxy product that provides additional hold and styling benefits. Both can be used to moisturize and condition your beard, but beard balm is better suited for longer or unruly facial hair.
How can I prevent ingrown hairs under my beard?
To prevent ingrown hairs, exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week using a gentle facial scrub or exfoliating brush. This helps remove dead skin cells, which can trap hair and cause ingrown hairs. Additionally, make sure to shave properly, using a sharp razor and shaving in the direction of hair growth.
Do I need to use both beard oil and beard balm?
It depends on your personal preferences and the length or texture of your beard. If you have a shorter beard, beard oil alone may be sufficient for moisturizing and conditioning. However, if you have a longer or unruly beard, you might benefit from using beard balm for added hold and styling control. You can also use a combination of both products for optimal results.
If you don't feel like investing hours in skincare product research, save yourself the hassle and check out our award-winning line of men's skincare products designed specifically for people with facial hair. Shop Now
✅ Certified B Corp
🇺🇸 Proudly Made in the USA
Veteran owned and operated small business